Followers

7.06.2011

Thirteen Reasons Why

So I got a new follower today! Yay! In other news I decided to go ahead and write my first review being back tonight. I can't sleep and I'm in the mood to write! (just so you guys know, I totally just wrote right there instead of write. I'm glad I have a backspace key....)
So today I'm reviewing....
Thirteen Reasons Why

Author: Jay Asher
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: October 18, 2007
Reading Level: Young Adult
Format: E-book
Pages: 184 (on Nook)
My Suggestion: Definitely a must read!
Buy here: Amazon


Synopsis: (from Goodreads)
Clay Jenkins returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers 13 cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Review:
I found this book really compelling.  I imagined myself with Clay, listening to Hannah describe the 13 stories leading up to her suicide.  I thought that Clay was the most appropriate of the 13 to help narrate the story.  The double narration was really cool.  I loved being able to instantly know what he was thinking when listening to the tapes.  It helped me keep up with what was going on, while also helping to add details to the stories that Hannah left out.  The idea of this story was amazing.  It brings up a lot of good points and definitely made me sit back and reflect on my own life, wondering about not only how other treat me and have treated me, but how I have treated others.  It was definitely good to learn how the smallest things can add to the "snowball effect."  This is definitely one book everyone should read.  I can't even imagine something like this happening to me.

Favorite Quotes:
"It's hard to be disappointed when what you expected turns out to be true."
-Hannah Baker

"I guess that's the point of it all.  No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people.  Often times, we have no clue.  Yet we push it just the same."
-Hannah Baker

1 comment:

  1. This book is great, but it WILL make you cry. Chances are, youll be wanting to go into this world, go back in time, and try to save Hannah, for years after the first time you read it. It almost feels like you knew Hannah, but at the same time you wish desparetly that you could have gotten to know her. Youll ask why, over an over, and in the end, it will affect you as if you knew her. Its also one of those books where, although you know he end from the beginning, youre in denial about it, hoping that at the end, she is in a hospital or something. The way the end of the tapes comes around will break your heart.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...