Followers

7.07.2012

Book v. Movie - Hunger Games!

 vs.

So my boyfriend and I went to the cheap theater to see the Hunger Games!  And he liked it!  WIN!  He soon discovered that what he believed to be a "chick-flick" is actually, in his own words "a teenage version of Rambo".  This cracked me up.  But anyway, moving on!

So I have to say this is, by far, one of THE best book adaptions of all time.  There was hardly anything that they missed.  Though there were a few things that I have to complain about, because it's me, and I'm a stickler for perfection when it comes to my books being turned into movies.  Especially this one because I've been anticipating it for a long time!

Okay so let's go through what I liked first.

I really appreciated the fact that there wasn't very much music playing throughout the movie.  It really pushed the seriousness of the movie, and made it seem more real.  I also loved the use of handheld cameras.  It also made it feel more real and like you were right there with the characters.

I loved the casting for the movie as well.  Jennifer Lawrence was amazing as Katniss Everdeen.  I get goosebumps ever time I hear her scream "I VOLUNTEER!"  Every time!  Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark was great too.  He's played the part of the sad, unrequited lover before (Little Manhattan).  Granted he was 12, but he played the character incredibly well!  He is an incredible actor and played the part very well. Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy was PERFECT!  He played the drunk bigot so well.  Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket.  What can I say?  I have never seen someone pull off purple lips, purple and blonde giant hair, and the creepy purple dress that she wore to the reaping.  She was hilarious! "That. Is. MAHOGANY!"  Stanley Tucci was awesome as Caesar Flickerman.  He has that goofy personality that is needed to play Caesar.  He is one of my favorite characters out of the series.  Liam Hemsworth is hot.  That's pretty much all that was needed to play Gale since he really wasn't in the story that much.  And of course Donald Sutherland as President Snow.  He was a small part in this movie, but I can't wait to see what he does in Catching Fire.

I also loved the two songs by Taylor Swift off the soundtrack.  "Eyes Open" could not be any more perfect for the movie.  They were playing a version of the song on the radio with audio from the movie within the song, and no matter how much I search, I cannot find that version of the song.  I even emailed my contact at the radio station that was playing the song to find out where they got it but he never got back to me about it :( Maybe one day I will find it, because it seriously gave me goosebumps every time I heard it.  If anyone finds it, please let me know!  "Safe & Sound" is also really good.  I've had it suck in my head all night, because I made my boyfriend listen to them to show him how amazingly they went with the movie (which he agreed with).

Overall I thought they movie was PRETTY much completely in sync with the book.  Yes I said pretty and will explain my grievances in a moment. 

Okay.  Complaining time.

1.  I thought they should have explained the Capitol a little more, as far as their fashion goes.  My boyfriend (who has not read the book) looked at my very confused when Effie walked up on stage.  The book does a very good job describing the fashion of the Capitol and why it's like that, while the movie leaves it kinda confusing to people that haven't read the book. 

2.  Where the hell was Madge?!  I was very upset that Madge was not in the movie!!  No, she's not a big part, but it helps tie things together.  Like, her being the one to give Katniss the mockingjay pin!  I know, it's really not that big of a deal.  But I'm a perfectionist darn it.

3.  Where was the avox girl?!  Again, no, not a major part, but the whole avox thing definitely is a huge part in Mockingjay.  So I was kinda pissed about that.  And like my friend that I went to the midnight premier said, they can't have everything in the movie.  But still!  EDIT: Okay.  Apparently she was in the movie?  She has a credited actress, but I never once remember seeing her and I've seen the movie twice now.  Anyone else notice her?

4.  I felt like the scene with Rue was too short.  It didn't bring the emotional response when she died that the book did.  I know, I know.  They only had so much time for the movie.  But the book made them connect so much more and the scene with her dying, I don't know, I just felt it was more emotional in the book.  Though I cried my eyes out anyway.

I know there is other things I have to complain about, but I don't remember them right now lol. 

I'll finish this up by saying that I LOVE this movie, and I thought it was an incredible adaption (besides my few complaints that I had).  I cannot wait for Catching Fire.  It's going to be so good!  I can't wait to see who they cast for Finnick.  And then Mockingjay.  Oh my god they better not mess up that one.  I'm going to be crying the entire movie.  I just know it.

I rate the movie overall as an A++, and as far as the closeness to the book I give it an A, because of my complaints!

Alright well I'm super tired, so I'm gonna go to bed.  

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...